Today I thought I’d share with you what wakes me up in the morning and keeps me going all day! My special cup of matcha green tea with almond milk 🙂 You know that grande iced green tea latte with soy milk and light ice you always order at Starbucks? Well spend no more! I’ve got you covered with this simple recipe that makes your homemade latte taste just as delicious as Starbucks.
You’ve probably heard of a few fancy ways to prepare a cup of matcha such as boiling water in a pot or whisking at it until bubbles form, but I’m a busy student who loves to hit the snooze button as often as I can and jet out of the door just in time to get to the library or class! So while my way may not be the most conventional, I can guarantee that it will take you very little time and give your taste buds that jolt it needs.
- 1 tsp (or 1/2, depending on how much matcha you want) Mighty Leaf’s Organic Matcha Green Tea (I bought mine from Sprouts for $12, but you can also find it on amazon for your convenience at the link here)
- Hot water
- Almond milk tea (I bought mine from Sprouts!). It tastes so good and is very healthy for you. Also a bonus, it is lactose and soy free.
- Ice (if you prefer it cold)
- Place the desired amount of matcha into your cup/mug (I use 1/2 tsp)
- Pour boiling water in
- Stir (or whisk if you have a whisk), for about 1 minute.
- Pour in almond milk to fit your taste. If you prefer your drink on the sweeter side, I’d recommend vanilla almond milk. On the other hand, if you don’t care for sweetness, then unsweetened almond milk will do the trick!
Since I don’t have a whisk, I stir my matcha green tea with a spoon as fast as I can. Once I’ve poured in my almond milk, I pour the whole drink into my travel mug and off I go! Since just stirring the matcha powder in hot water quickly doesn’t dissolve dissolve it fully, I try to make sure to shake up my drink before I take a sip. This helps bring the matcha taste up since it’ll be sitting at the bottom of the cup/(travel) mug. Just a quick reminder that real matcha can be a little pricier than usual but the benefit is that it doesn’t come with any added sugar or sweetener mixed in. This definitely helps if you’re trying to control your sugar intake, and maximizes health benefits as you get the full effect of pure matcha green tea powder.
So there you have it, my quick and easy homemade green tea latte! It has made me look forward to waking up every morning and keeps me awake for hours to get through classes and studying. Don’t drink this in the evening though, it will keep you up into the night! Let me know if you enjoy this recipe, and any advice on how I can improve it! Until next time 🙂